Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Only three weeks into FTE training and I'm already semi-dreading Wednesdays: the day we do speed work in the pool and then on the track. But today's swim session wasn't too terrible. In all honesty I think it was easier than last Wednesday's swim speed session, and that is fine with me. Ten x 50 alternating hard and easy on the one minute seemed to be the "meat" of the workout. The little rest on the easy laps and the longer rest on the harder laps seemed to make the two speeds a draw in terms of difficulty.

As usual, I was more comfortable once we were sneakered-up and back on dry land. Even though I've competed in triathlons for many years now, I consider myself a novice at both swimming and cycling. Not so with running. The track feels like home turf--with the possible exception of the non-banked turn at Chelsea Piers.

The on-land speed workout was 4 x 800 with only a 200 recovery--pretty short and therefore pretty toughening. I ran with Tommy, Bobby, Joe, and Jose. I suggested that we take turns leading the intervals. My track team observes this tradition to prevent people from "racing" the workout. It's also a great study in pacing. The idea is that each person take a turn leading an interval. No one is to pass the leader. My team established this tradition after too many guys in our A group (the fastest one) raced the workouts to the degree that they left it all on the track; they were road kill by the time the weekend race rolled around. So in order to race better, and blow out fewer hamstrings, we take turns. The idea is to really stick to the goal pace, not run seconds under it.

I led the first 800, Bobby led the second, and Tommy led the third. I could just barely keep contact with Bobby and Tommy; it was nice to feel pulled along by them just slightly ahead. I ran the four 800s in: 3:08, 3:06, 3:06, 3:05.

My ultimate goal is to sneak back to the hot tub after some of these sessions, as I've seen other teammates do. But today wasn't my chance.

In the evening, I finished up the day with an hour-long spin class with Chris Griffin at Equinox.

No comments:

Post a Comment