Thursday, January 21, 2010

Thursday, January 21st, 2010

NYAC Cycling | 24 Miles | Central Park

I think I may have mentioned in an earlier post that I going to do some racing this summer with the New York Athletic Club and I'll be joining them in Central Park for team rides twice a week - Thursdays and Saturdays. The team is composed almost entirely of former rowers so we're excited to see how we stack up against other amateur cyclists. Other than carryover thunder thighs, I'm not sure how well rowing translates over to cycling. We'll soon find out...

Only a small group showed this morning. It was a bit colder than it has been for the past few weeks. I don't mind the cold so much now that I have the proper clothing for cold-weather cycling. It keeps most of the riffraff out of the park. (Did I really just use the word "riffraff"?) I did happen to spot a very large TriLife peloton this AM. I'm not sure if it's because they're tougher than Full Throttle or if it's because they don't have sweet indoor training facilities like we do. Wait... just checked race results. Definitely the latter... oh, BURN!

NYAC ended up riding four laps of the park, about 24 miles. I think our average pace was around 22 mph. It wasn't particularly hard, nor was it easy. Click on the link embedded in the map below to see details. Note that the average pace is off because I forgot to stop the gps after I finished the final lap and spent 10 minutes chatting with a teammate at Columbus Circle (hence the 14 min mile vs. 3 min for the others):

No comments:

Post a Comment