Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Monday, January 11th, 2010

Swim/Run | Chelsea Piers

I stayed up pretty late due to the Arizona-Green Bay game going into OT and struggled waking up this morning. I'm not a morning person by any stretch of the imagination so it's never easy to just jump out of bed when the alarm goes off at 4:55am. After snoozing once or twice, I did manage to drag myself out of bed and put on all my cold weather cycling gear. By the time I arrived at Chelsea Piers and changed for the pool, I had already missed the warm up and tech work. I jumped right into the first set of 200s and felt really strong for the remainder of the practice. I don't know if my swim fitness is coming back quickly, if dropping the tech work gave me an extra boost, or if it was a combination of both, but today's swim was much less difficult than last week's.

I only managed to run a mile and a quarter before my left knee started to hurt. I ran 14 miles in Central Park yesterday so I'm not surprised it felt a bit shaky. I decided to do the smart thing and stop running, and stretch/ice it before I put myself out of commission for the next few weeks or even months.

Workout of the Day:

SWIM

Warm up - 300p / 200k / 100sw
Tech ("work on power") - 2 x 100 scull / 100 backstroke
Main Set
  • 2 x 200 steady effort R=20
  • 3 x 150 swim solid effort R=20
  • 4 x 100 kick steady effort R=20
  • Combo set - 3x (150 steady pull / 100 solid swim / 50 hard swim), R=30 at the breaks
Cool down

RUN

3-5 miles at a steady effort (2nd mile 2% grade down to set the body position)

(For effort/intensity zone definitions, see the Full Throttle official website)

No comments:

Post a Comment