Thursday, January 7, 2010

Thursday, January 7th, 2010

Full Throttle | Cycling/Core Work | Chelsea Piers

The one word that best describes the spin sessions: sweatfest. It may not be a real word, but you understand what I'm saying. I must be seven pounds lighter when I walk out of that room. I absolutely love building a strong cycling base this early in the year. There's nothing better than showing up in Central Park in early March and dropping other cyclists left and right.

The spin was followed by core and upper body strength work in the studio. I know I've said it before in an earlier post, but it's amazing how quickly strength and muscle endurance goes when you take a few months off from hitting the weights or doing body weight movements such as pull-ups, push-ups, lunges, etc. I wasn't able to complete today's push-up pyramid without dropping to my knees - and it's not just in the studio. I definitely notice major muscle fatigue halfway through the swim sessions; that's partly due to the fact that I don't swim properly, but I never really swam with great technique. I've always relied on upper body strength and endurance to muscle my way through sessions in the pool or during the swim leg on race day, so when the muscular endurance goes, it's particularly noticeable (and painful).

Workout of the Day ("WoD"):

CYCLING SET
  • 5 min ez intensity effort
  • 5 min steady effort climb
  • 5x (3 min seated steady effort / 3 min steady effort aero or neutral)
  • 2x (4 min solid effort climb / 3 min steady effort aero or neutral)
  • 2x (1:30 min seated hard effort / 2 min steady effort seated)
  • 3 min ez effort cadence at 105
(For effort/intensity zone definitions, see the Full Throttle official website)

No comments:

Post a Comment