Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Today Scott had us do two longer spin intervals: 15 minutes and 20 minutes with a 3-minute standing recovery in between. Not two minutes into the ride Scott noticed that my seat was set too far back and I was too stretched out. I adjusted it and instantly had more power. I upped my resistance from 10 to 11 and was able to keep at the desired cadence (90)--with some effort, but the right effort.

I take a lot of spin classes so I felt in shape for this but it was a new challenge to have that cadence number right in front of me. I kept my eye on the dial and also on Scott, figuring that he was doing the right cadence. The second interval was actually much easier for me because the music got faster and because I started chatting with Dave, who was on the bike to the left of me.

After spin I headed for the treadmill. Stuart is hugely amused by the fact that I've become a regular treadmill runner when I'm on record as hating it so. But given the circumstances, it's a great option and I'm actually getting more into it every day. Seeing my pace right in front of me keeps me even more honest than my Garmin does outdoors. I put in 6.1 miles, averaging about 8:00-8:15 pace.

One thing that's already hard for me as I advance into triathlon training is seeing my weekly mileage dip down. For the nine weeks leading up to my FTE morning debut, I was logging in fifty-plus to sixty-plus miles a week. Last week I ran forty-five. I know I don't need to run so much given all of our other training, but the mileage junkie in me is already disappointed. Just another thing I'll have to let go--along with The Daily Show and The Colbert Report.

No comments:

Post a Comment