Friday, January 22, 2010

And then there was my ego...(not for long)

One of the most important things that the sport of triathlon forces you to learn is how to be prepared. With three sports, the amount of gear you need to train/race is remarkable; every gadget, gismo and garment is essential, so there's no room for error. I'm not exactly a veteran, but coming up on my 4th season, I was quite surprised this morning when I opened my gym bag to get ready for the swim: Speedo--check. Goggles--check. Cap--check. Skills--oh SNAP!! That's right, ladies and gents, I apparently forgot how to swim today. The workout itself focused on longer sets with hand paddles, so the lane lovelies and I agreed that we would slow down the pace and work on our form(s). Little did I know just HOW slow I would go--seriously I kept checking to see if a HEFTY bag was suddenly tied to my feet acting like a parachute/drag. I checked my ego at the door and held onto the end of the line (by a thread). That's something everyone comes to accept: you can't always be on top of your game...certain days you're just "garbage," as Scott likes to put it.

The spin leg of our workout was all about keeping our cadence at/above 90, which I'm proud to say comes naturally to me now. I kept the resistance low mostly because my legs refused to acknowledge any hard sets I tried to introduce them to, but also because I knew my body was trying to tell me something: "You will always lose in an argument with me. Keep it steady." Dagon IT...

No comments:

Post a Comment