Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Wednesday, January 13th, 2010

Swim/Run | Chelsea Piers

I had a small issue with turning my alarm clock off this morning instead of hitting the snooze button. When I woke up again it was already 6:00am and I knew I wouldn't make it in time for the swim. I got over to Chelsea Piers as quickly as I could and stretched until the rest of the team finished up swimming and joined me on the track for speed work.

With fresh legs, I ran in group 1 (the fastest group). We were supposed to run a 90" split for the quarter mile intervals, but Tommy pushed the pace and we ended up running 82-85" splits. I didn't think the pace was too challenging (I wasn't bent over dry heaving after the set), but to be fair I didn't swim before the run.

I did the swim workout by myself after the run and it wasn't fun. There's a reason why I'm on a team and that reason is to train with others, more specifically, others who are faster than I am and can help me push myself to make huge improvements in my technique and fitness. I ended up pushing myself really hard in the pool today, despite not having a lane full of teammates, but I'm not sure how many days a week I'd make it to the gym without my teammates and coaches. The solo swim reinforced how great it is to be a part of Full Throttle.

Workout of the Day:

SWIM

Warm up - 200 swim / 200p / 100 backstroke
Tech - 100 each rlcsw / 3-stroke / 2x scull
Mainset
  • 10 x (100 steady / 50 solid-hard) R=30
  • 5 x 100 steady pull R=15
Cool down

RUN

1 mile warm up ez
6 x 400 at RP w/ 200 down ez
1 mile cool down

(For effort/intensity zone definitions, see the Full Throttle official website)

No comments:

Post a Comment