Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday, January 15, 2010

Although today's swim was theoretically an easy day, it was challenging for me in that if featured the use of paddles and later fins--neither of which I'd ever used before. I was comfortable with the paddles but they definitely slowed me down more than they slowed down my lane #3 mates--to the degree that the paddle portion of the workout became one continuous swim for me. But the pace wasn't bad so I didn't feel anxious or exhausted--I just had to keep going and going without any rest.

After the swim--and a transition that was long even for me--we headed to the spin room for two 25-minute rides with 3-minute climbs after each. Continuing in the easy mode, Scott had us dial down the resistance two notches from normal for the longer intervals. Cadence was to be at 90 or just above. We got a preview of the very cool Suunto monitoring system that will eventually publicize everyone's heart rate and "zone" while we're cycling. We'll also be able to know our heart rates while we're in other areas of Chelsea Piers--like on the treadmills.

I went for a run in Central Park around 7:30in the evening. It was such a lovely night and the temperature was in the mid-forties. I ran 7.25 miles at a comfortable pace. The park was pretty empty. I always find that when the park is at its emptiest, and there's maybe only one other runner out there besides me, chances are I know that runner. Tonight was no exception, for one of the two or maybe three runners I crossed paths with was Warren Street's Stephan Bois. I think Stephan gave me grief because I had headphones on and was listening to music--something very new for me--but frankly, I had the volume up so high, I couldn't quite hear him. But from the gleam in his eye as he passed me, I know he was razzing me about something.

No comments:

Post a Comment