Monday, January 11, 2010

Monday, January 11, 2010

I've noticed that the swim days are harder for me than the spin days. It's just a little tougher to get in the water than on the bike. I'm sure I'm also feeling this way because I have a lot of spin classes behind me but no swimming--not for months.

That said, I'm loving my lane #3 teammates and the solidarity I feel training with them. The toughest part of today's session was definitely at the end: 3 x 200 pull/150 solid swim/50 hard--all with 30 seconds rest in between. It was exciting as well as challenging to see what I had left for those hard 50s, especially the last one. Just enough to get through the workout, it turns out. Also, a set or two before we had to do 200 kicks and I discovered that my kicking is noticeably slower than the rest of my group's. I can pretty much keep up with everyone for everything else, but not the kicks. Scott shouted some kind of encouragement to the effect that I'm a runner and should therefore have a kick, but my legs must not have been listening.

Hit the treadmill again afterward. One of my many New Year's resolutions is that I won't be such a techno-moron. I had been calling myself a Luddite, but Stuart tells me that Luddites want to destroy machines. I don't want to do that; I just want to learn how to use them properly. So don't laugh, but Sunday night for the first time I downloaded music to my iPhone. It took me a phone call to Apple but I finally got it to happen. So I had music for the first time for my run! This could be a mistake. I was so excited, I ran 8:00 pace for the first three miles and 7:30 for the second three--much faster than usual. Shows what a little "Boom Boom Pow" and a lot of Rick Springfield can do for you. (I'm doing books with one of the Peas and with Rick so this could actually be considered work in the traditional sense, not just as exercise.)

Finished out the day with an hour-long spin class with Chris Griffin at Equinox. Guess that means I'll have my next spin class in less than twelve hours from that one. Maybe not smart. We'll find out tomorrow.

1 comment: