Thursday, January 7, 2010

Tuesday, January 5th, 2010

Full Throttle Endurance | Bike/Strength Work/Run | Chelsea Piers

Day 2 of Full Throttle was great. We were in the spin room at Chelsea Piers for the first half of practice. After 5 minutes of high RPMs, low wattage warm up we got right into the work. We spent the next 60 minutes or so alternating between steady effort seated, solid effort out-of-the-saddle standing climbs, solid effort seated, and hard effort seated. My legs were on fire as they worked off the rust from the past three months, but I was happy with the wattage I was putting out, especially this early in the season.

After the spin, the team headed to the studio for strength work / cross training on the lower body. Because all of our movements in all three sports are forward, it's important for use to keep the body balanced and work on lateral movements and core strength.

After the Full Throttle session was through, I headed to the track to get some run mileage in. I'm still training for the January 24th half-marathon so I want to be sure not to let that training fall by the wayside as I gear up for triathlon season. I ran four miles at a 8:00/mile average pace with the first quarter mile of each of the four miles at a 6:20/mile pace. The purpose of this run was to flush the legs from yesterday's solid effort, as well as today's bike and strength training.

Finally, I did some abdominal work. I'm smoked.

Full Throttle Workout of the Day ("WoD"):

CYCLING SET
  • 5 min ez intensity effort
  • 5 min steady effort
  • 3x (3 min climb / 3 min steady effort aero or neutral)
  • 3x (2 min solid effort climb / 3 min steady effort aero or neutral)
  • 2x (1 min seated hard effort / 2 min steady effort seated)
  • 5 min steady effort seated
  • 3 min ez effort cadence at 105
(For effort/intensity zone definitions, see the Full Throttle official website)

No comments:

Post a Comment