Tuesday, February 9, 2010

February 9, 2010

Sorry to be such a stranger. I went to San Diego on business the week before last and everything seems to have gotten away from me since. Don't worry, this won't be a comprehensive recap by any means. I'll just hit the highlights.

San Diego: I was there for four days and got in four nice runs in 50-degree weather. Went for a long run on Friday, January 29: 13.3 miles at about 8:20 pace. I missed two FTER workouts, but the trade-off for the (relatively) warm weather was worth it.

Empire State Building Run-Up: I came home just in time to miss another FTER workout--in order to compete in my 11th ESBRU. Scott/Full Throttle has whipped me into great stair-climbing shape. I ran the stairs in 14:25--my best time in 10 years, second only to my PR of 14:22. We really should get more FTERs into this race next year. It's hell, but the half-lap of the observation deck is very cool and there are great bragging rights afterward.

Gridiron 4 Miler: We had a nice Full Throttle showing, despite the 17-degree temperature. Mikael Hanson, where were you:)? Bobby Kennedy found me about three-quarters of a mile into the race and we hung together. It's alway so great to have a friend/teammate to work with in a race. Apparently Scott/Full Throttle has gotten me into great running shape, too. I got my highest age-graded percentage ever. Those of you too young and talented to be aware of age-grading or appreciate it: once you're too old to ever run actual PRs, you'll look forward to the thrill of running virtual ones through age-graded time conversions. The big Gridiron highlight: Tommy Slon debuting in his first road race ever. Dude, you mean you started with the triathlon?

Monday of this week consisted of a somewhat tough swim (for me, anyway) followed by a 10K treadmill run at about 8:15 pace. Then I did an hour-long spin class in the evening at Equinox with instructor Chris Griffin.

Tuesday (today) consisted of a spin session--love that Suunto monitoring system--followed by a 4.1 treadmill run at about 8:20 pace. Had to cut the run short because I had sales presentations to make at 9:00 sharp. Annoying how the pesky day job can sometimes interfere with training.

Tomorrow: Big Snow Day! But I already called Chelsea Piers and was assured that they would be open. See you in the a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment