Sunday, February 14, 2010

Catch you on the flip side.

I woke up this morning--did the usual yawn, arrrrrg and strrrretch and I was immediately aware of my traps. Was I lifting weights in my sleep AGAIN?! No, no...the tightness isn't a result of me sleep lifting; rather, it's from the countless flip turns I practiced yesterday in the pool. I would have blogged about this sooner, but I just now got the rest of the pool out of my nose (sexy). Chris (tags: swim coach, teacher, dad-to-be, whoops lane 5, patient like a priest) decided to take a few of us sad souls into the water and show us how to conquer the world-o-dolphinery (it's a word). Here were the contenders in addition to me and Chris: Maria (tags: contagious laugh, multiple 25-29 age group podiums, spit fire, kitten), Bryan (tags: how not to swim, master planner, bets most wins least, ladies man, cyclist) and Jose (tags: Chechu, speedster on the track, tiny tush, Spanglish). For over an hour, we took turns swimming toward/close enough to the wall, dropping our chins, squeezing our abs, thrusting our hips (get your head out of the gutter), rolling over and pushing off of the wall with the same momentum we had going into the turn.

Despite our best efforts, none of us managed to incorporate ALL of the above, but most of THEM got the important stuff (shaking my fist in the air!) I, on the other hand, averaged a single execution each time. Chris, being as great as he is, said I improved a tremendous amount. Um, how could I NOT improve when I was rolling over sideways, yards away from the wall and (if I got close enough) pushing off of it with one foot? I looked like a manatee having a seizure.

Today, I'm going to face my aquatic shortcomings and practice what I (honestly) learned from Chris yesterday (thank you, Chris). Luckily, it's family day at the Piers, so there will be tons of kids in the pool alongside me to watch, point and laugh. It's cool, I'll be the low-budget clown. BUT! If one of those little kiddies asks, "Is that the Loch Ness Monster, daddy?" I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment