Thursday, February 18, 2010

February 17, 2010

FTE, Temporary Denver Chapter: I had to go to Denver on business on Tuesday morning and came back Wednesday night. This meant missing Wednesday's double speed workout: pool and track. I was particularly bummed to be missing the track speed session. It's still the old love/dread thing, of course, but whenever the option to actually do a particular speed session is taken away from me, my feelings turn to pure love. Easy to love a hard workout you don't have to do.

But I particularly missed the chance to do the speed work with Tommy and Bobby. We've been working nicely together, taking turns leading each interval and generally pulling one another along. So I resolved to show my solidarity with them by doing the same workout Wednesday morning on the treadmill in Denver. But somehow once I was actually on that treadmill, speed work just didn't seem like the ticket. I abandoned my plan, but was feeling guilty about it. Then, about four miles into my run, I felt sufficiently warmed up and inspired to give it a try. I did the 1200 at 6:18 pace, the two 800s at 6:15 pace, and the three 400s at 6:07, 6:03, and 6:00. Total run: 8 miles. It was hardly the same without Tommy and Bobby, but at least I got the speed work in. And it just shows how you can gain inspiration from teammates even when they're a couple time zones away.

Got home Wednesday night in time to make it to Chris Griffin's spin class at Equinox.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know, Stace. You couldn't break a sub-6:00 effort? Sounds to me like you're slackin'...high altitude schmaltitude. You better get back on it, girl, or I might not let you lap me on the track anymore.

    (FYI, people? Stacy's nickname is "The Goal." I won't insult your brain by explaining why.

    ReplyDelete