Sunday, October 24, 2010

Part 2 of 3






Speaking of overachievers, I had the privilege of going to watch a few FTE family members compete in the Ironman World Championships in Kona, Hawaiiiiiii. Let me put it to you this way--in the amount of time it took for these spandex-covered, scrumptious pieces of inspiration in human form to complete a colossal race, here's what I did: I had breakfast, cheered, sunbathed by the pool, filed my nails, ate lunch, picked my nose, did NOT eat it, went for a 10k run, showered, cheered, caught up on my correspondents, likely Googled myself bc I'm vain, cheered, went shopping, had a beer, readjusted my hair, read the newspaper and met them at the finish line. Other than the run, the most aggressive thing I did all day was apply sunscreen. Twice.

Watching our athletes (in fact any athlete) cross the finish line was truly remarkable. When you're on an island that's over 2,000 miles away from any continental coast, you really do get a sense of how large this world is, despite how small it appears to be at times. I can think of no other place to host the WORLD championships for Ironman than such a remote location, so I got an idea of the field of athletes putting themselves to the ultimate test in the middle of a tropical nowhere. Whereas I don't relate to the need to go that distance nor in those conditions (ever!), I have to admit **warning: sappy moment ahead** I had the chills watching our FTE kids cross that finish line because it exemplified the fact that I'm not only amongst wonderfully talented people, but also those that know no limit when it comes to loyalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment