Monday, March 29, 2010

The Bird


The thought process of a triathlete taking a day off from training is the equivalent to that of a child in time out: it's against our will, we would much rather resume what we were doing and it feels like we're the only ones sitting still while everyone else is playing. Compounded by the fact that we're less than 2 weeks out from a race, resting becomes the anti-Christ for all of us. It's as if suddenly people black out the past 3 months of training and it all comes down to

NOW.

The truth is, your body never lies and it ALWAYS wins. Take yesterday for example. There was not a square inch of my body that wanted to workout. In fact every square FOOT was begging to rest. But those DAGGON voices in my head wouldn't stop taunting me, "Everyone else is training, slacker. What's your excuse?" I caved and did cardio/lifted. That would explain today when my body literally gave me the middle finger. I was kickin' it with the usual suspects in lane 4 and we had to swim 2 sets of roughly 900 yards broken down into various speed intervals. I took the lead on the first few hundred, felt great and MIDDLE FINGER! I basically had the lung capacity of an 80-year-old the rest of practice. Awesome.

The GOOD news is my run is back! Actually, I don't know that I ever had it, but it feels spectacular now. My ITB has been on its best behavior and you know why? I'll give you 2 hints: acupuncture and orthodics. It's not the "feel good" kind (believe me). Lorenzo (tags: the wizard, deep laugh, 8000 certifications, ghost Full Throttle athlete) does dry-needling. All I know is that he puts needles in my legs, attaches electric things to 'em and everything twitches (aka: he makes my legs "sneeze"). I haven't felt this great running in...well, ever. Did I just give away the farm?

Looking forward to some sleep tomorrow so my body never gives me the bird again--only two thumbs up.

No comments:

Post a Comment