Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I love this team--let me count the ways

It's been a long time since I've blogged so let me jump back in with three reasons I love this team:

Reason #1. I was riding with group 1 in Central Park last Thursday. After a few laps in a two-by-two paceline, we pulled off in the 102nd Street Transverse to wait for the rest of the team. While we were waiting, a passing cyclist told us that we had a man down near the 72nd Street Transverse. There wasn't even a discussion: our group immediately headed south to see if there was anything we could do to help. Poor Scott was already in the ambulance by the time we got there, but I really appreciated the way our priority instantly became getting to him as quickly as we possibly could.

Reason #2. Later that same morning, I was finishing a "kumbaya" lap with Tom and Kevin. Coming up the big northern hill, I saw a guy pedaling with only one foot. His other foot was dangling by his crank. Then I noticed the guy was wearing Full Throttle bike shorts. It was Wyeth!

"Hey, Wyeth," I said, "you totally rock."

"It's a great workout," he responded. "You build strength and learn to have no dead spots. I'm doing another lap for my other leg. Wanna come?"

I passed, but only because I was racing a 10K in two days. I just love that he was doing this hard, extra training and that he immediately invited me to join him.

Reason #3. I knew it would happen eventually: I would forget to pack some critical item in preparing to head to Chelsea Piers for one of our morning sessions. I think I secretly hoped that if I did, the forgotten item would be something work-related. But, no, this particular day I neglected to pack my running shoes. I only realized it when I came back from the pool to change. I knew I had a pair of running shoes in my office. Did I have time to get there and go for a quick run? I was making this mental calculation as I started changing into my work clothes.

"You're not running this morning?" asked Kyla.

I explained that I'd forgotten my running shoes.

"What size are you?" she asked.

I told her and she instantly offered me her shoes. They were a perfect fit!

I already knew my FTE teammates have my back, but I hardly expected them to have my shoe size, too. Thanks, again, Kyla. There's an extra 10K in me that wouldn't be there if it weren't for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment